By now, you may have gathered that I’m Italian and that I enjoy baking and cooking!! Now that we having one more week until Christmas, it’s baking time!!! I have so many recipes that I love to make this time of the year and one that always has to be included is Biscotti which is perfect with your afternoon cup of coffee or after dinner with a glass of vino – which is the Italian way!!! 🤣🤣🤣
To start, you will need the following ingredients:
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of butter, melted
1/4 cup of anise seed and 1/4 cup of Sambuca (you can use anisette if you prefer)
2 teaspoons of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of water (or if you want, you can use 3 tablespoons of whiskey instead)
5 1/2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 cups of chopped walnuts
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a big bowl, mix all of your ingredients in the order given. Just make sure that you mix in the walnuts last.
3. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for 2-3 hours.
4. Grease you baking sheets (I use Pam baking spray).
5. Take your dough out if the fridge and shape your dough into small flat loaves that are about 1/2 inch thick and 2-3 inches wide and you can make the loaves as long as the pan or the width of the as shown in my picture. Simply stated, I eye it!! 🙂 Just make sure that your loaves are spaced well apart and that you can put 2 loaves on a large baking sheet.
6. Bake the loaves for 20 minutes or until browned.
7. Remove the loaves out of the oven and let them cool a little.
8. Next, cut your loaves into diagonal slices about 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch thick. Place the slices on your baking sheet and bake them at 375 degree for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Remove biscotti from the oven and let them cool down. I store my biscotti in tins.
I hope that you enjoy this Italian classic recipe for the holidays!!!! 🎄🎅 🦌