One day, my husband and I were walking through our local farmer’s market and purchased a Hungarian Poppyseed Loaf that was absolutely wonderful. After a period of time, I decided to take a try and make it myself. I was amazed how easy it was to make and after trying the recipe a few times, I wanted to share it with all of you. It is very tasty, not too sweet and we enjoy having it when it is fresh out of the oven!!!!!!
3 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 package active dry yeast
1⁄4 cup water
1⁄2 cup dairy sour cream
1⁄2 cup butter or margarine
1 Can Poppy Seed Cake and Pastry Filling
1. Mix 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in large bowl & stir until blended. Place sour cream, water and butter in small saucepan. Cook over low heat until very warm (120-130° F).
2. Add to dry ingredients and beat with electric mixer until blended. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
3. Beat in eggs and 1/2 cup flour. Beat 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Cover with towel and let rest 10 minutes.
5. Grease large baking sheet. Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll out 1 piece of dough onto lightly floured surface to 12 x 14-inch rectangle.
6. Spread half of poppy filling over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges all the way around. Roll up dough, jelly-roll style, starting from long side. Pinch seam to seal.
7. Place filled roll, seam side down, on your baking sheet. Cover with a towel and set aside in warm, draft-free place to rise until almost doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool completely on wire rack.