I don’t know about you, but I love using basil in my cooking. From making sauce, to making pesto or using it in homemade soups and salads…it just adds wonderful flavor to so many dishes. It even makes a refreshing summer drink as you put the fresh basil in a pitcher of water and add lemon making a Basil Lemon Infused beverage. I have even put fresh basil into ice cube trays, then add water and freeze them. During the colder months, I take them out of the freezer and put them into my pasta sauce.
In addition to how amazing it tastes, basil also has several health benefits that I want to share with you today.
Some of the health benefits of basil includes:
- Rich in Vitamin K for healthy bones.
- Full of Vitamin A for healthy vision.
- Has antibacterial properties.
- Reduces stress.
- Full of antioxidants.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Sharpens memory.
- Helps with bug bites.
- Prevents acne.
- Treats the common cold.
Now, time for a little baking!!! I want to share with you a simple recipe for my Basil Parmesan Puffs. They are easy to make, very light and airy and taste amazing!!!!
Basil Parmesan Puffs
3/4 cup water
6 tablespoons butter, cubed
3/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup of minced fresh basil
1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to boil. Add flour all at once and still until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beat well.
- Beat until smooth and shiny.
- Stir in the minced basil and parmesan cheese.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons 1 inch apart onto greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks.
Yield – about 2 dozen.